Skip to main content

The All Encompassing Nature of Caste

For the past couple of months, I have been jobless. Quite literally. Living in my parents' home near the outskirts of the city, I have been passing time by trying to observe and capture (capture with the lens, not literally capture them) the various species of birds that are present here.

Though the mission has been a decent success (have managed to observe over 35 different kinds and photograph about 20), what has intrigued me the most is that the caste system has made its way into the naming of the birds as well.

Consider this bird.



It is called the Brahminy Myna. Why Brahminy? Because the feathers on the back of it's head resemble the pony that is characteristic of Brahmins.



The above bird is called the Brahminy Kite. No, it doesn't have a pony as well. This kite, in contrast to other commonly found kites, is fair. This again is a general characteristic (although not exclusively) of Brahmins. Hence the name.



Guess what this birds name is? The complexion of this bird is brownish / black. Therefore it is called the Pariah Kite. Pariah is one of the lower castes in the Indian caste hierarchy. Apparently those belonging to this caste are supposed to be brownish/ black in colour.




While the all-black crow is commonly known now as jungle crow, earlier  in Telugu speaking areas, this crow was known as "mala kaki" (Mala crow). Mala is the lowest caste group in the hierarchy. And as the caste system was broadly based on racist (or colorist to be more precise) principles (although you will hear other justifications and claims), those branded as malas were also usually the blackest in complexion. The jungle crow, therefore was named after this caste group.

----

It should be noted that while academics and ornithologists discourage the use of names whose origins are derived from the caste system (especially in the case of birds like the pariah kite, now called Indian black kite, or the jungle crow, which are named after "lower" caste groups), it continues to be used in rural areas.

P.S: Of these birds, only the pariah kite and the Brahminy Myna are present near my house. Though I have snapped both of them, the quality of the images was not good enough to depict the etymology of their names. All the four images have been do downloaded from the internet and no copyright infringement is intended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dastoor

As one might have observed from my recent posts, I have been listening to or reading a lot of poems from poets in Pakistan. I promise that my intention behind this is not to receive that treasured 'anti-national' tag. One poet that I have developed a special liking is Habib Jalib. A compatriot of Faiz Ahmed Faiz, who has received more global fame, Jalib was an avowed champion of the people. He was a staunch opponent of Ayub Khan and Zia-ul-Haq, both army generals who overthrew the elected Pakistani government. However, he also spoke out against state oppression. It is reflective of the sad state of affairs that India is in today that most of Jalib's poems seem to be very contextual. I have already posted one of his poem's, "Zulmat ko Zia" in a previous post. (http://amritkosaraju.blogspot.in/2016/02/zulmat-ko-zia.html) Another of Jalib's famous poems is called "Dastoor", which can be translated as constitution. Here it goes... Dastoor

Zulmat ko Zia

I have always had a fascination with the Urdu language. Having lived in Hyderabad my entire life, I have found this language to be very beautiful and having a natural poetic sound to it, the way Italian supposedly has. Due to this fascination, I have taken a liking to songs, ghazals and qawwalis that are sung in Urdu. Naturally, I have come across numerous Pakistani artists. One such artist is Habib Jalib, the "poet of the people". One of my favourite poems of Jalib is "Zulmat ko Zia". When Zia ul Haq seized power via a coup, Jalib wrote this poem. The word "Zia" in Urdu means light. Using this, Jalib writes, "How can I call this darkness as light?" Over the past month or so, due to obvious reasons, this poem has become even more dear to me. I shall post the lyrics and translation of the poem. Pakistani band "Laal" adapted the poem into the form of a song. I shall also post a link to the song. Lyrics "Haq baat

Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya

The following is a poem by Faiz Ahmed Faiz. I don't really know why (maybe it's my sweet spot for Urdu), but I like it very much. Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya Woh log bahut khush kismat thay Jo ishq ko kaam samajhte thay Ya kaam se aashiqui karte thay Hum jeete’ji masroof rahe Kuchh ishq kiya, kuchh kaam kiya Kaam ishq ke aa’re aata raha Aur ishq se kaam ulajhta raha Phir aakhir tang aakar ham ne Dono'n ko adhoora chhor diya Translation: Fortunate were those people Who thought of love as their work Or were in love with their work I was busy my whole life I loved a little and worked a little Work came in the way of love And love interfered with work Finally, fed up I left both incomplete